EFIL, the European Federation for Intercultural Learning, is the umbrella organisation of 28 AFS organisations in Europe, founded in 1971. AFS Intercultural Programs began as the American Ambulance Field Service (later to be known as the “American Field Service” or “AFS”), which was founded in April 1915 to offer help to the wounded during the First World War. Today, AFS is an international, voluntary, non-governmental, non-profit organisation that provides intercultural learning opportunities to help people develop the knowledge, skills and understanding needed to create a more just and peaceful world.
AFS’s activities include the long-term secondary host family and school-based exchanges of students and volunteering abroad programmes.
EFIL provides AFS organisations in Europe with services in 5 areas:
- ACADEMY (about 8 trainings per year);
- EXPAND (development of new AFS organisations in Europe and support of weaker members)
- PROJECTS & PROGRAMMES
- VOICE (communication towards the members).
- Intercultural Learning and Global Education
- Active Citizenship and Volunteering
- Learning mobility (including visa/residence permit legislation)
- Recognition of non formal education and learning
- Academic recognition of the exchange year abroad during secondary school