Monday June 26th will see the opening of the Civil Society Days 2017.
Why? Over the past year Europe has faced many new challenges, most of the time leading some citizens to remarkable dissatisfaction towards the EU institutions. We believe that Civil Society Organisations (CSOs) are in a key position between citizens and European institutions, giving them the power to offer new perspectives for the Union and to propose concrete solutions for the future of Europe. The Civil Society Days are meant to empower CSOs even more, and for Europe as a whole to acknowledge their key role in our common society.
What? The conference will take place in the Economic and Social Committee and will last from Monday 26th to Tuesday 27th. The main focus will be on four themes:
- Populism, and how to develop a counter-narrative through education and culture;
- Technological revolution: transforming work, minds and society;
- Empowerment of civil society organisations, rights and the shrinking space for civil society;
- Urban and rural dimensions, moving towards more social and territorial cohesion.
Who? Keynote speakers include :
- Federica Mogherini, High Representative of the European Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy
- Alberto Alemanno, Jean Monnet Professor of EU Law, HEC Paris and Founder of The Good Lobby
- Gerald Hensel, social media strategist and founder of Fearless Democracy
The Lifelong Learning Platform, as the co-organiser of the Civil Society Days and member of the EESC Liaison Group, will be present and representing all education sectors during the works. We will facilitate the plenary session and give insights on our policy paper on “Education in a Digital World”. Members and partners of the LLL-P will be also participating and contributing to the discussion.
For more info on the programme, speakers and workshops, please check the web page of the event.