The hybrid conference will see the launch of the EESC study “The response of civil society organisations to the COVID-19 pandemic and the consequent restrictive measures adopted in Europe“, as well as topical debates with high-level speakers and civil society representatives.
The study, commissioned by the EESC at the request of the Group, sheds light on the activities of civil society organisations (CSOs) in assisting local communities and vulnerable groups to deal with the pandemic. Quantitative and qualitative data on their activities are presented through case studies, as well as a review of the challenges faced by civil society as a result of the pandemic. Moreover, discussions with high-level speakers and civil society representatives will focus on:
- The impact of the pandemic on vulnerable groups of people;
- How CSOs helped these vulnerable groups;
- Initiatives taken by CSOs to review how they handled the crisis;
- The ways in which CSOs will contribute to reconstruction and to sustainable post COVID-19 communities.
The event is aimed at:
- Assisting CSOs to redesign their own structures and to become more sustainable;
- Helping CSOs to be involved in the design and implementation of the Recovery Plan for Europe;
- Feeding into the wider debates on the Conference on the Future of Europe and on the Social Summit in Porto (May 2021).