At the closing session of the 14th ASEM Foreign Ministers’ Meeting (ASEMFMM14), His Excellency Deputy Minister Prak Sokhonn officially accounced that the 13th ASEM Summit (ASEM13) will take place on 16-17 November,2020, in Phnom Pehn, Cambodia, under the theme “Strengthening Multilateralism for Shared Growth”.
Cambodia’s proposed theme reflects the Kingdom’s efforts to promote ASEM as one of the cornerstones of global governance. Its thematic concept focuses on the interaction of 4 main ideas: Multilateralism, Growth, Sustainable Development and Prosperity. Reflecting the key principle that the prosperity of both continents is the ultimate objective of the ASEM Process, the Summit will reinforce Asia-Europe partnership to ensure that multilateralism can bring about global growth that is not only “sustainable” but can also be “shared”.
Due to the ongoing COVID-19 restrictions, the recent ASEM Senior Officials’ Meeting (ASEM SOM) held on 1-2 March 2021 decided to postpone the 13th ASEM Summit to the 4th quarter of 2021. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation of the Kingdom of Cambodia has announced that ASEM13 will be held on 25-26 November 2021.
Alongside ASEM13, 8 side-events will take place:
- 13th Asia-Europe People’s Forum (AEPF13)
- 11th Asia-Europe Parliamentary Partnership Meeting (ASEP11)
- ASEM Cultural Festival (#ASEMfest) at ASEM13
- 1st Asia-Europe Economic and Business Forum (AEEBF1)
- 4th ASEF Young Leader Summit (ASEFYLS4)
- 10th ASEF Editors’ Roundtable (ASEFERT10)
- Asia-Europe Forum on Women, Peace and Security