On May 8th, on the occasion of the #EuropeDay, European leaders have gathered in Sibiou, Romania, to take stock of the progress made towards a stronger Europe. In light of the upcoming European elections, they unanimously adopted a list of 10 commitments that shall guide European future. The claims reinforce the idea of a strong, united Europe, a statement that will accompany those same leaders through their political campaigns.
These are the 10 commitments as reported on the Romanian Presidency’s website:
- We will defend one Europe – from East to West, from North to South. Thirty years ago millions of people fought for their freedom and for unity and brought down the Iron Curtain, which had divided Europe for decades. There is no place for divisions that work against our collective interest.
- We will stay united, through thick and thin. We will show each other solidarity in times of need and we will always stand together. We can and we will speak with one voice.
- We will always look for joint solutions, listening to each other in a spirit of understanding and respect.
- We will continue to protect our way of life, democracy and the rule of law. The unalienable rights and the fundamental freedoms of all Europeans were hard fought and will never be taken for granted. We will uphold our shared values and principles enshrined in the Treaties.
- We will deliver where it matters most. Europe will continue to be big on big matters. We will continue to listen to the concerns and hopes of all Europeans, bringing the Union closer to our citizens, and we will act accordingly, with ambition and determination.
- We will always uphold the principle of fairness, whether it be in the labour market, in welfare, in the economy or in the digital transformation. We will further reduce disparities between us and we will always help the most vulnerable in Europe, putting people before politics.
- We will give ourselves the means to match our ambitions. We will provide the Union with the means necessary to attain its objectives and carry through its policies.
- We will safeguard the future for the next generations of Europeans. We will invest in young people and build a Union fit for the future, able to cope with the most pressing challenges of the 21st century.
- We will protect our citizens and keep them safe by investing in our soft and hard power and by working with our international partners.
- Europe will be a responsible global leader. The challenges we face today affect us all. We will continue working with our partners in the world to uphold and develop the rules-based international order, to make the most of new trading opportunities and to jointly tackle global issues such as preserving our environment and fighting climate change.
These claims are as comprehensive as one can imagine, and we truly hope that EU leaders will stand by these statements especially when it comes to stepping up European cooperation through the approval of the next Multi Annual Financial Framework. Because there is no better way to “match our ambitions” than funding education and lifelong learning throughout the continent.